FROM MACHINE LUBRICANT TO KITCHEN STAPLE: How Crisco Convinced America to Eat an Industrial Byproduct … BUT AWAIT THAT'S NOT ALL!!!
Matthew Lysiak: "You have Procter and Gamble around the same time, a little bit later, introducing us. I feel ridiculous even saying some of these things. Introducing us to Crisco because cottonseed waste, post industrial revolution where we know we used it to lubricate machinery. So they they didn't wanna just give that up."
"So there was a huge marketing campaign to launch things like margarine and Crisco, which nobody regarded as food. It was not part of the food system. You talked about the emulsification with the high hydrogenation Yeah. That they were able to make it thick. Otherwise, it's just this dripping, oozing Disgusting."
"Oil out of these It's hot and seeds out of manufacturing. But if we can hydrogenate it, it gets thick. We can stick it in a bucket. And now you're literally taking, an industrial byproduct and saying this is food. I mean, it's genius."
"It's genius because they convince the American public who is hesitant to consume something that wasn't food. And and then I mean, I don't know about you, but I never regarded cottonseed as vegetable. So as we began saying these things are vegetable oils."
Two videos on an old product that we all ate:
"It was a masterclass in marketing, and I chronicle how they did that in FIAT food. I I go through the very persuasive campaign where they begin saying that the fats we use for 1000 of years, like lard and suet, that was old fashioned."
"You don't want a stinky kitchen. This is modern and great. This is what the wave of the future become a great housewife was Yeah. How they advertised it, and it worked. Took time, but it worked more. Cheaper."
"You don't want a stinky kitchen. This is modern and great. This is what the wave of the future become a great housewife was Yeah. How they advertised it, and it worked. Took time, but it worked more. Cheaper."
See Also:
SIX COTTON BYPRODUCTS THAT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU